Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and Technology
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
USD 37,620 / per year *
Earliest start date
* the cost per credit hour is $1,380
Imagine pursuing bold ideas powered by an understanding of healthcare data, programming, and management to change the care delivered to patients. If you are dreaming of a career in health information management, then get started with this four-year, full-time program on the Boston campus.
In addition to learning fundamental principles of health data and database structures, you will practice designing applications and work with students studying related, yet different disciplines to solve problems and prepare for opportunities that exist in the real world, where collaboration is key.
The program also covers data security and privacy, which are essential topics for professionals who work with sensitive medical information. Graduates will be prepared to use data to enable and support decision-making in healthcare practices and other settings.
Scholarships and Funding
MCPHS aspires to enroll students with outstanding ability, academic promise, and a passion for healthcare. We recognize that a college education is one of the most important investments a student will make in their lifetime. To this end, our merit award program helps put an MCPHS education within reach of qualified first-year applicants. It is not necessary to submit a separate application for consideration; all applicants will be reviewed for merit at the time of acceptance.
MCPHS Award (Need based)
The University provides need-based scholarships to students with demonstrated financial need as determined by their FAFSA application.
Explore your local community (rotary clubs, businesses, high school, etc.) for scholarship opportunities to assist with the cost of your education. All scholarship awards from outside establishments are required to be reported to the Office of Student Financial Services.
With this bachelor’s degree, you will be prepared to begin a career in health information management. Our program provides you with the technical skills, soft skills, and practical experience to succeed in entry-level positions—including health information manager and compliance analyst roles—at a variety of organizations.
- delve into your chosen field with courses in statistics, biomedical informatics, business math, databases, and coding
- explore the basics of working in healthcare, including mastering medical terminology
- hone communication skills through writing courses and collaborative exercises
- study chemistry
- expand your subject matter expertise by learning about data standards, big data, and other topics
- continue to acquire an understanding of the healthcare business
- prepare for the future by interacting with peers from different disciplines through classes and activities
- study biology
- deepen your knowledge of the field with courses such as quality improvement, consumer health informatics, and health data collection and management
- round out your training by studying healthcare ethics, organizational psychology, and other topics that will help you thrive in a collaborative real-world setting
- participate in team-based activities such as hackathons that simulate the workplace
- ensure that you are ready to handle sensitive information by learning about data security, risk, and compliance
- practice your leadership skills and learn how to visualize data to support decision-making
- focus on applying health information management in a company in the Boston area
- complete advanced electives on topics such as Python programming, SAS programming, and biostatistics
MCPHS has applied to the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) for accreditation of this program, which would allow graduates to sit for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHI) credential offered through the American Health Information Management Association.
Program Tuition Fee
This program prepares you for a career in health information management at a hospital, life sciences company, or related organization that collects, analyzes, stores and safeguards valuable information.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.