MSc in Clinical Leadership
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
1 - 3 year
Full time, Part time
GBP 8,500 / per year *
Earliest start date
* home full-time: £8,500 | international full-time: £16,200
Why choose this course?
This course is ideal for qualified healthcare professionals who wish to learn more about leadership and management. You will be able to apply your learning to a clinical setting and to research healthcare issues within the workplace. You will be kept up to date with recent developments, legal requirements and ethical practice, sharing experiences with professionals from a variety of fields.
This innovative course is designed for qualified healthcare professionals, who are keen to learn more about leadership strategies and management techniques. It consists of taught modules, and a work-based learning project and enables you to explore a leadership topic of interest in depth, with the aim to publish. You will learn how to lead and manage healthcare practice and implement research advances to enrich evidence-based practice. The course will help you to drive service improvement projects relevant to your practice, and research healthcare issues within your workplace. The course combines academic teaching with interactive learning and incorporates theories of leadership and change management. You will gain confidence to influence decision-makers with your recommendations.
The structure of the course allows you to continue working while studying. The full-time option has one classroom-based day per week (Wednesdays) and the part-time option is once per fortnight (Wednesdays). Many of our students have been promoted as a direct result of studying this course.
Each course module is worth 30 Level 7 credits. For the PgCert, you will need to complete two modules; for the PgDip, you will need four, and for the MSc, you will need four, plus a final research project worth 60 credits.
Reasons to choose Kingston University
- Our part-time route, with one study day per fortnight, is designed for working healthcare professionals.
- You will develop your skills in leadership, decision-making, networking and reflective practice.
- You will study alongside senior healthcare professionals and share good practices.
What you will study
The course consists of four taught modules and a final Capstone project which enables you to explore a leadership topic in depth. You will learn how to lead and manage innovations in healthcare practice and implement research advances to enrich evidence-based practice. Part-time students will take the following modules in each year (full-time students will undertake all modules in one year).
- Healthcare Management and Evaluation
- Leadership and Change Management
- Reflexive Leadership
- Research Methods and Data Analysis
- Final Capstone Project
Optional modules only run if there is enough demand. If we have an insufficient number of students interested in an optional module, that module will not be offered for this course.
After you graduate
This course will help you:
- Improve your ability to manage others
- Lead changes and improvements into practice
- Develop credibility in your area of clinical expertise
- Move to a more senior role e.g. Director of Nursing, Consultant, Senior Lecturers
- Gain confidence and advanced communication skills in the workplace
- Present at conferences
- Write for publication