Antimicrobial Stewardship: Managing Antibiotic Resistance Course - University of Dundee FutureLearn
Understand antibiotic resistance, and how antimicrobial stewardship can slow down or reduce it, with this free online course.
Understand antimicrobial stewardship
Designed for healthcare professionals, this six-week course will inform you about – and empower you to provide – safe, high-quality antibiotic use. You’ll interact with colleagues globally, to understand what antibiotic resistance means – and why the World Economic Forum has placed it alongside terrorism and climate change on its global risk register. You can also join the course in Español, 中文, Pусский, or Portuguesa.
What topics will you cover?
- Antibiotic Resistance and its global impact.
- The relationship between antibiotic resistance and prescribing.
- What antimicrobial stewardship is and how it can be implemented in a hospital setting.
- Why measurement is important in stewardship: how it can improve antibiotic prescribing.
- How novel diagnostics can help in clinical decision making for antibiotic prescribing.
- An understanding of the value of Behaviour Change Science to improve antibiotic prescribing.
- Examples of successful antibiotic stewardship from across the globe.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Assess the threat of antibiotic resistance in the learner's location and to their practice.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of using certain strategies/tools/interventions in antimicrobial stewardship to drive improvement in learner's location and practice.
- Understand the value of measurement in antimicrobial stewardship: how to calculate DDDs and use Point Prevalence Surveys, have begun to determine how to use these in their location and practice to drive improvements in antibiotic prescribing.
- Assess the value of novel diagnostics to clinical decision making for optimal antibiotic prescribing.
- Understand the value of Behaviour Change Science to successful antimicrobial stewardship: by assessing issues around culture and context learners will explore how you can apply this evidence in their own setting.
- Examples of successful antimicrobial stewardship implementation from across the globe will be provided and learners encouraged to assess the value of these for their own location and practice.
Who is the course for?
This course requires an active interest and prior experience in the prevention, diagnosis and management of the infectious disease. This version is for learners who prefer to participate in English.
You can also join the course in the following language versions:
- Espanol: Optimización del uso de antimicrobianos: Gestión de la resistencia a los antimicrobianos
- 中文: 抗菌素管理: 管理抗生素耐药性
- Pусский: Стратегия контроля антимикробной терапии (СКАТ): контроль антибиотикорезистентности
What software or tools do you need?
Who will you learn with?
I am a doctor with 25+ years of interest and experience in improving the use of antibiotics. Through better education, to promote better patient management and treatment.
Who developed the course?
University of Dundee
The University of Dundee is one of the world’s Top 200 universities and was named the Scottish University of the Year for both 2016 and 2017. Dundee offers one of the UK’s best student experiences.
Founded in 1971, the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy exists to facilitate the acquisition and dissemination of knowledge in the field of antimicrobial chemotherapy.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get: