The Graduate Program of the University of La Laguna presents a quality format at Master and Doctorate level in Biomedicine and Biotechnology constituted by the Degrees "Master's Degree in Biomedicine", "Master's Degree in Biotechnology" and "Doctorate in Biomedical Sciences" , which are academically attached to the Faculty of Medicine of the ULL. The essential objectives are the initiation of a teaching and research career in biosciences, as well as the training of professionals for the asactivity in public and private institutions related to molecular diagnosis, biotechnological development and biomedical innovation.
Biomedicine is one of the sectors with the greatest socio-economic impact in our environment. Society demands a higher quality of life every day, which in turn depends on the proper development of the biosanitary sector. In the last decades there have been great advances in the different disciplines involved in this field, which has allowed to deepen the knowledge of the human organism, the biophysical and biochemical foundations, which explain its functioning in health state, and the cellular bases and Molecular diseases. As a result of all this, a powerful biomedical sector has emerged that requires professionals with highly specialized training, both in the public and private sectors.
Therefore, if we consider Biomedicine as a multidisciplinary science that aims to deepen the logic of life in order to improve the health of individuals we can justify the design of the proposed Degree - which will share a body of knowledge with the Master's Degree in Biotechnology from the University of La Laguna - aims to offer highly specialized training in each of the disciplines that make up the training plan, at the same time interrelated.
This program, interdepartmental and interfaculty, has been designed to combine teaching activities aimed at graduate students from those areas of knowledge in which, at the University of La Laguna, related research areas of excellence are developed, in greater or lower grade, with biomedicine. This is intended to configure a program that integrates strata of basic and applied knowledge.
This program aims to be, therefore, a quality postgraduate offer, with an orientation towards training in biomedical research, potentially useful for Bachelor's degrees or Degrees in Biology, Pharmacy, Medicine, Chemistry and Psychology at the University of La Laguna, as well as a way for the formation of professionals and doctors among the graduates of said Bachelor's or Degrees. Likewise, this program is considered as a training opportunity for graduates of these and other related degrees, coming from Spanish and foreign universities, who wish to continue their university studies in these fields of knowledge.
External references to the University
The subjects taught in this program address issues that are currently topical, which is why a significant number of prestigious universities, both Spanish and from other countries, offer master's degrees with a similar content. Suffice it to mention, as examples, the Master in Biomedicine of the University of Barcelona, the Postgraduate Program in Molecular Biology and Biomedicine of the University of Seville, the Official Postgraduate Program in Biotechnology and Biomedicine of the University of Alicante, the Master in Biotechnology Doctor of the Pompeu Fabra University, and the Master in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biomedicine of the Autonomous University of Barcelona, among others, in Spanish universities. Likewise, outside our country there are other similar programs, such as the MSC in Biomedical Sciences Research of King's College London (United Kingdom), the Master in Biomedicine and Biotechnology of the University of Vienna (Austria), the Master of Health Science of the Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD, USA), as well as numerous equivalent degrees taught at universities in the United States, Australia and various European countries.
External and internal consultation procedures for the preparation of the curriculum
Regarding the previous postgraduate offer at the University of La Laguna related to this program, it should be noted that it has as a direct background the doctoral programs entitled Basic Biomedical Research and Biomedical Research and Surgical Clinic, on the one hand, and Sciences of the Life and the Environment, on the other, that have constituted the offer of third cycle that in this university has allowed the access to the title of doctor to the graduates by the Faculties of Medicine, Biology and Pharmacy. Also, the interuniversity doctorate program in Cognitive Neuroscience, and the Official Postgraduate Program (POP) Biomedicine and Biotechnology, both with a Quality Mention.
Based on the experience acquired during the existence of the POP Biomedicine and Biotechnology, a design commission for the New Degree was established - composed of professors who had taught and in permanent contact with the Academic Council - who used as a reference data provided by the Analysis Cabinet and Planning of the ULL related to academic aspects (content and organization), number of graduates who continued their doctoral thesis and survey of student satisfaction.
This commission worked based on the regulations of the ULL and its Commission of Postgraduate Studies to establish the proposed proposal. In the ULL, several consolidated research lines are developed whose subject matter can be considered as pertaining to biomedicine areas or related to them, in which students can acquire theoretical and practical training in general scientific methodology and specific techniques, and carry out the research work corresponding to their Master's Thesis and / or Doctoral Thesis. Most of these lines of research - one of the strengths of the proposed Degree - will be integrated both in the Master that is proposed now and in the Doctorate in Biomedical Sciences.
In addition, this program actively incorporates several research groups from the three university institutes related to the subject (University Institute of Bioorganics "Antonio Gonzalez", Institute of Tropical Diseases and Public Health of the Canary Islands, and Institute of Biomedical Technologies) , as well as the Research Units of the University Hospitals of Tenerife (University Hospital of the Canary Islands and University Hospital Nuestra Señora de Candelaria). Finally, it is worth mentioning the possible conversion of this degree into a joint one, incorporating the participation of the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, in the near future.
The success of any economy based on knowledge depends on the generation, diffusion and application of that knowledge and, therefore, on the regional, national and international environment where it is developed. The Spanish position in the development of biotechnology is marked by the effort made in our country throughout the eighties to promote science and technology. In the effort developed from the eighties, biotechnology was considered as the technology model to implement a policy of decided state support. Since then, the total investment in biotechnology, stimulated by the support of the State in R & D projects, has been more than 100 million euros, of which just over 50% correspond to the public sector.
A breakdown of financing by sectors indicates a predominance of the Health sector, 53%, which includes the development of pharmaceutical products, especially vaccines, proteins, peptides and macromolecules of high added value obtained by genetic engineering; and diagnostic products, basically monoclonal antibodies and DNA probes. The rest corresponds to the agri-food sectors, 30%; chemical, 12%, and environmental protection, 5%. In recent years there has been a great increase in the effort devoted to biomedical and biotechnological research in Spain, which has allowed the generation of knowledge and the acquisition of experience, to the point of having favored the culture medium capable of sustaining the creation of technology-based companies in both the food and health sectors. Although a significant number of companies in these sectors have been created at this time, all data indicate that there is enough technological capacity to undertake many more projects.
Despite the current situation of economic crisis and its impact on the distribution of resources, it is evident, therefore, that the economic and social sectors related to the training provided in this degree require and will continue to require highly specialized professionals. The University of La Laguna has professors and researchers who are specialists of proven quality and who carry out competitive research in areas directly related to Biomedicine, as evidenced by the research lines that are part of the program and the CVs of the participating professors and researchers , which is a guarantee that this program can offer quality training for future professionals in these sectors. In addition, the relationship of these professors and researchers with colleagues who develop their work in other national and supranational institutions - who may be invited to participate in the training plan of the degree - will help to cement with greater strength the quality of the training of graduates .
Entry and exit profile
- Profile 1: Graduates in Biology, Pharmacy, Medicine, Chemistry or Veterinary. Other qualifications from which the program could be accessed are Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Food Science and Technology, Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Profile 2: Nursing, Physiotherapy, Psychology among others. Depending on the specific profile of each graduate, the Academic Commission of the Degree may indicate to each student the obtaining of complementary knowledge in order to facilitate their integration and maximum formative use.
The master's degree will be expert in analytical techniques of molecular biology and in its biomedical and / or biotechnological applications. He will be able to use current techniques in the fields of research related to biomedicine, allowing him to join research tasks in laboratories in both public and private centers.
The specific competences noted for the title define the activities and fields of knowledge where the graduate can exercise his qualification.
Surpassing the studies of this masters will provide a complete, rigorous and current training in the methodology and concepts of biomedicine and specialty studied, with basic training in the bioethical aspects involved, the fundamentals and legal aspects of animal experimentation, and the Design and analysis of data from biological studies and samples. The graduate will be able to study doctorate and continue the usual research career in any national or international center.
- To offer a multidisciplinary training in areas of knowledge related to Biomedicine.
- Train professionals with expertise in analytical techniques of molecular biology and in their biomedical applications.
- To develop in students the capacity to use current techniques in the fields of research related to biomedicine, allowing them to join research tasks in laboratories in both public and private centers.
- To train researchers who know and respect the procedures of the scientific method and who are able to plan and execute research tasks, as well as to interpret their results and extract from them conclusions that allow to broaden scientific knowledge and contribute to problem solving Social and economic.
- To train the student to identify the most relevant ethical aspects of the research he intends to carry out and identify the legal sources for the ethical orientation of the investigation and to resolve the conflicts that may arise. (Identify Ethical Aspects).
- Train to expose the ethical reasoning in the proposals of research projects or in the transfer of scientific results. (Expose Ethical Reasons).
- Train students to work with laboratory animals. (Manipulation of Animals in Experiments).
- Train the student to study the genetic variability of humans, knowledge of diseases caused or modified by the presence of variants in the genome of individuals and use that knowledge in the design of experiments. (Human Genetic Variability).
- To train to understand the biophysical and biochemical bases for the knowledge of the cellular function, with special reference to the mechanisms and processes involved in cellular homeostasis. (Cellular and Molecular Function).
- To train the students to understand the interaction between the molecules that make up the cells, explaining them, ultimately, from the laws of physics and chemistry. (Cellular and Molecular Interaction).
- To train to understand the high level of integration necessary for the functioning of biological organs and systems and to use this knowledge for the proper design of experiments. (Cellular and Molecular Integration).
- To train the student to know the molecular bases of the interaction between macromolecules and the relation between the cellular compartments to perform the molecular and structural analysis of the biological, medical or biotechnological fact. (Molecular and Structural Analysis).
- To train for understanding the chemistry of biological processes (interconversions and molecular transformations, chirality, reactivity ...) including interactions with drugs and to anticipate the possible chemical reactions involved in the metabolism of drugs as well as possible interferences of the same in The metabolic processes (Molecular Transformations and Anticipation of Chemical Reactions).
- Train the student to make more efficient experimental designs. (Experimental designs).
- Train the student to understand the biological variability and for its evaluation. (Evaluate and Analyze Biological Variability).
- Train the student to perform the descriptive analysis using a simple database and understand the fundamental aspects of the inference in the study of the main effects and interactions. (Statistical inference).
- Train the student for the efficient use of statistical programs. (Use of Statistical Programs and Tests).
- Train to update, complete and expand the knowledge acquired in an interactive way with expert researchers in various biotechnological fields. (Interaction with Experts).
- Train the student to analyze therapeutic uses and know the official regulations that regulate the quality of biotechnological drugs. (Development / Regulation of New Drugs).
- Train the student to apply the methods of determining the relevant physicochemical properties from the chemical structure and calculate the molecular descriptors. (Determination of molecular descriptors).
- To train students to analyze the relationship between chemical structure and pharmacological activity, as well as biodistribution, metabolism and toxicity and their evaluation methods. (Relationship Chemical Structure Activity).
- Train for the conceptual and technical approach of concrete problems of biomedical research. (Skills for the Methodology in Biomedicine).
- Acquire the skills to defend the work before a Tribunal or any other specialized scientific forum. (Presentation / Discussion Before Court).
- To train the students to understand the molecular basis of the disease with special reference to the mechanisms involved in the main pathological processes. (Genetic and Molecular Basis of Disease).
Orientation and tutoring
- An Academic Guide will be published that will contain the Master's Teaching Organization Plan, the programs of the subjects and their evaluation system, the list of assigned research lines and the doctors integrated in them who can take on the tutoring of students (see points 3). and 4 of this section).
- The digital version of the Academic Guide will be published via web, via the main publication of all the administrative and academic matters related to the degree.
- The student will have a tutor who will be assigned by the Academic Committee of the Master from the beginning of the academic year.
- The tutor must be a Doctor and be part of a line / research group attached to the master's degree.
- The tutor (a) - who will have a maximum of 2 students under his tutelage - should advise and direct the formative and administrative activities of the student, particularly those related to the acquisition of knowledge, skills and skills and direct the Final Master's Project (TFM) , and give the approval to the final memory of the TFM that the student must present and defend before the Court designated for that purpose.
There will be a reception to the students before starting the academic activities of the degree, in the place and time that will be communicated in a timely manner.
This master does not contemplate the performance of external practices.
About the School
La Universidad de La Laguna ha ejercido una importante función de liderazgo educativo, científico y cultural en Canarias durante sus dos siglos de historia, impulsando el progreso de nuestra comunidad ... Read More