School of Medicine
Nazarbayev University’s School of Medicine (NUSOM) is the first school in Kazakhstan’s history to offer all of its programs in English, following a U.S.-style curriculum by collaborating with expert medical clinicians and biomedical scientists recruited from the global healthcare network. NUSOM was created to enhance the quality of medical education in the Republic of Kazakhstan and generate a transformative health care system that meets the challenges of health care reform in Kazakhstan.
NUSOM’s programs offer state-of-the-art technologies that transform our students into expert medical professionals. Candidates for the School of Medicine undergo a rigorous application process and are accepted at the discretion of the SOM admissions department.
About the program
The two-year Master of Public Health (MPH) degree offered in the Nazarbayev University School of Medicine is based on the highest international standards. As an offering of the School of Medicine, we provide additional highly-qualified faculty, and teaching and research resources not found in MPH programs outside of medical schools.
Health-related positions in the United Nations (WHO, UNICEF, UNDP, UNAIDS, and others) and unilateral international agencies (USAID) almost always require or prefer candidates with MPH degrees. There is a growing need for MPH trained personnel as administrators, researchers and assessment specialists in hospitals and other health institutions. In the private sector pharmaceutical, health insurance and biotechnology companies are hiring public health professionals. Sometimes MPH graduates start their own businesses.
Increasing numbers of universities, both in Kazakhstan and outside Kazakhstan, are hiring MPH graduates for teaching, administrative work and as researchers. The MPH is also a gateway degree for MPH graduates who want to pursue a doctorate in a public health field in universities outside of Kazakhstan.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
Engage students through transformational education and training in internationally-accepted best practices in population-based approaches to address health, health conditions and disease determinants for the prevention and control of disease, disability, and untimely death.
- To provide graduates with competencies in public health sciences to produce health and biomedical research and program evaluations of the highest quality based on international standards.
- To provide graduates with competencies in management and health service assessment for the administration of health institutions and the development of health policies.
- To produce skilled public health professionals who draw on knowledge and methods from multiple disciplines to ethically define, critically assess, and resolve problems affecting the public’s health.
The Master of Public Health program provides graduates with skill sets and competencies based on the latest international standards that are required for careers in health administration and management, health education and health promotion, epidemiological health and disease research, health behavioral research, biostatistics, health systems and facilities research, and health policy development. The competencies acquired from this program are sought by a broad variety of employers both in public and private sectors nationally and internationally. On successful completion of the Master of Public Health program graduates will be able to:
- Assess the health needs of defined populations, including critically characterizing distributions of determinants of health, morbidity, mortality, and disability, the burden of disease and application to inform the development of more effective and more cost-effective interventions.
- Develop, analyze, and implement targeted health policies, projects, and programs.
- Assure the appropriateness and effectiveness of a given public health intervention through monitoring and evaluation and other means.
- Communicate and disseminate public health messages to targeted audiences in the general public and for professional groups, including the writing of scientific papers for international conferences and submission to international biomedical and public health peer-reviewed journals.
- Apply behavioral sciences in public health research and practice, including identifying psycho-social determinants and etiologies of health conditions and design of behavioral interventions to improve health and well-being.
- Apply biomedical sciences in public health research and practice, including characterizing and evaluate modes of transmission and etiology, pathophysiology, and host responses to vaccines, chemoprophylaxis, and pharmacological methods of prevention, treatment, and management of disease of public health importance.
- Apply environmental health sciences in public health research and practice, including identification and appraisal of environmental exposures associated with disease, disability, and death, especially for susceptible populations, and conducting risk assessment/risk management analysis.
- Apply management sciences in public health research and practice, including characterizing health service systems’ organizations and structures, evaluating health delivery system models, assessing and improving health service management through changes in strategic planning and organizational design, applying concepts of human resource management to achieve strategic objectives, and preparing budgets.
- Utilize quantitative sciences to design, conduct, analyze and interpret quantitative health research and statistical analysis, plan and conduct epidemiological surveillance, and critique and explain published peer-reviewed biomedical and public health literature.
- Utilize qualitative sciences to design, conduct, analyze and interpret health research and critique
- Demonstrate integration of new knowledge and skills with previous training and experience by critical and selective application within a personally and professionally relevant context, including fostering life-long learning and open critical thinking.
Candidates are expected to have:
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and/or graduate degree (if applicable) in a relevant discipline. During the application period, final year students may submit official current transcripts for consideration. Applicants recommended for admission must provide final transcripts and diplomas before the end of the Programs’ enrollment term. Graduates of the University are enrolled based on the evidence of the final transcript confirming the degree completion followed by diploma submission within a month.
- Candidates may be enrolled conditionally based on evidence from graduating university that the candidates have completed the educational program and the candidate expects formal issuance of final transcript and/or diploma by a certain date. In that case, the decision on enrollment shall prescribe the period of time within which the candidate shall provide the necessary documents to the University.
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.00 or equivalent on applicants' degree (bachelor, master or Ph.D. (if masters and Ph.D. have adopted a GPA approach).
- The required level of English language proficiency.
- Strong reading, analytical and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE or GMAT test (optional). Although an official GRE/GMAT score is not an essential requirement, an applicant can enhance his/her application with a competitive GRE/GMAT score.
- High level of motivation and a strong interest in the Program outlined in the statement of purpose.
- 2 (two) confidential letters of recommendation.
- For Master of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Master in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation programs only: Evidence of any professional and/or voluntary experiences related to biological and/or medical research (optional). Although this is not an essential requirement, an applicant can enhance his/her application with such evidence.
English language requirements:
The required level of English proficiency:
- The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the Program is an overall IELTS test score of 6.5 or higher (with no sub-score less than 6.0 in each section) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website.
- The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test report for admission to Nazarbayev University Zero Year of Master’s Programs is an overall IELTS test score of 5.5, with no more than one sub-score of 5.0, or the equivalent TOEFL scores as posted on the ETS website.
- Applicants to the Program, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
- One of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction, and daily life.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree was earned in a program that was officially taught in English.
- The applicant is a graduate of Nazarbayev University.
Work after graduation
There is a growing national and international demand for MPH graduates. The Kazakhstan 2050 Strategy identifies preventive medicine, environmental protection, population health, and access-to-health as priorities- all requiring public health trained professionals. The Ministry of Health and Social Development and its affiliated institutes and centers, and the National Medical Holding hire MPH-trained professionals.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, USA
Other strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More