The MPharm programme is a four year programme which integrates three interlinked themes:
- The Patient, Disease and Drug Action
- Practitioner and Patient
- Medicines Design and Manufacture.
The MPharm is an undergraduate Masters degree with a research methods course at Stage 3 leading to a sustained research project which constitutes one third of the final year of the programme.
Each course includes lectures, seminars, laboratory work, small group work, practice based activities and assignments. There are also a number of placements throughout the programme, so you will benefit from both academic and practice-related environments.
Assessment includes written examinations at the end of each year. All courses also have continuous assessment that contributes the remainder of the overall course mark. Continuous assessments include practical dispensing examinations, objective structured clinical examinations, presentations (individual and group), written reports, assessment of laboratory notebooks, case studies, essays and multiple choice questions. Final honours classification is calculated from: 10% of Stage 2 overall grade, 40% of Stage 3 overall grade and 50% of stage 4 overall grade.
Becoming a Pharmacist:
After a UK based course: After the successful completion of the course you will receive an MPharm degree. There are a number of further steps to go through before you will be able to register with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) and practise as a qualified pharmacist in the UK. Once you have completed an MPharm you will need to apply for a pre-registration year, this is where you will further develop the skills you gained during your degree as a paid employee in a professional environment. Entrance on a pre-registration year is competitive and there is no guarantee that you will receive a place. A proportion of these pre-registration places are with the NHS, but the majority of placements involve working with community pharmacists. Again, you should be aware that your place on the pre-registration year is not guaranteed as the number of available placements is dependent on different factors. One such factor is that the availability of pre-registration places offered by community pharmacies can vary from year to year. International students are also very likely to require a visa which can be dependent on meeting a number of conditions, including a minimum salary requirement. After the completion of 52 weeks of pre-registration training, and subject to you passing the registration exam at the end of the training, you will be eligible to register with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) and practise as a fully qualified pharmacist.
About the School
Greenwich has scooped top spot in the London league table for student satisfaction, for the second year running. In the latest Sunday Times University Guide league table, published on 12 September, th ... Read More