School of Medicine
Nazarbayev University’s School of Medicine (NUSOM) is the first school in Kazakhstan’s history to offer all of its programs in English, following a U.S.-style curriculum by collaborating with expert medical clinicians and biomedical scientists recruited from the global healthcare network. NUSOM was created to enhance the quality of medical education in the Republic of Kazakhstan and generate a transformative health care system that meets the challenges of health care reform in Kazakhstan.
NUSOM’s programs offer state-of-the-art technologies that transform our students into expert medical professionals. Candidates for the School of Medicine undergo a rigorous application process and are accepted at the discretion of the SOM admissions department.
About the program
The Master program in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation is a two-year degree that will equip the graduates with theoretical as well as hands-on knowledge in the said field. The program’s focus on research will help the graduates to develop analytical skills, promoting excellence as well as innovation in healthcare practice. The long-term goal of this initiative is to promote the evidence-based practice of Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation in Kazakhstan.
The focus of the Master program in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation will be to deliver a curriculum that is compliant with international standards and trains health professionals in evidence-based practice. The program will, therefore, produce graduates who will be able to deliver services in diverse areas of Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation at par with international standards of care.
The Master's program in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation is designed for those who have completed an undergraduate degree in clinical or basic science (with a minimum grade point average of 2.75 based on a 4.0 scale or equivalent).
The structure of the Master in Sports and Rehabilitation program is set out to begin with the basics of human body functions, including metabolism and nutrition, as it related to exercise and fitness. The program imparts knowledge about the mechanics of the human body during exercise and injury. Students will be stimulated to think about the application of this knowledge towards improving athletic performance and rehabilitating an injury.
- Campus: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
On successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of musculoskeletal physiology, metabolism, biomechanics, exercise physiology, injury prevention, psychology, and nutrition to Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Apply this knowledge to design exercise regimes to achieve optimal athletic performance.
- Strategize best methods for the rehabilitation of injuries.
- Apply critical and analytical skills to research problems in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Analyze and communicate complex scientific information as it relates to Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Conduct scientific research in full accordance with ethical and professional standards.
Candidates are expected to have:
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and/or graduate degree (if applicable) in a relevant discipline. During the application period, final year students may submit official current transcripts for consideration. Applicants recommended for admission must provide final transcripts and diplomas before the end of the Programs’ enrollment term. Graduates of the University are enrolled based on the evidence of the final transcript confirming the degree completion followed by diploma submission within a month.
- Candidates may be enrolled conditionally based on evidence from graduating university that the candidates have completed the educational program and the candidate expects formal issuance of final transcript and/or diploma by a certain date. In that case, the decision on enrollment shall prescribe the period of time within which the candidate shall provide the necessary documents to the University.
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.00 or equivalent on applicants' degree (bachelor, master or Ph.D. (if masters and Ph.D. have adopted a GPA approach).
- The required level of English language proficiency.
- Strong reading, analytical and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE or GMAT test (optional). Although an official GRE/GMAT score is not an essential requirement, an applicant can enhance his/her application with a competitive GRE/GMAT score.
- High level of motivation and a strong interest in the Program outlined in the statement of purpose.
- 2 (two) confidential letters of recommendation.
- For Master of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Master in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation programs only: Evidence of any professional and/or voluntary experiences related to biological and/or medical research (optional). Although this is not an essential requirement, an applicant can enhance his/her application with such evidence.
English language requirements:
The required level of English proficiency:
- The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test reports for admission to the Program is an overall IELTS test score of 6.5 or higher (with no sub-score less than 6.0 in each section) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website.
- The absolute minimum requirement for English language proficiency test report for admission to Nazarbayev University Zero Year of Master’s Programs is an overall IELTS test score of 5.5, with no more than one sub-score of 5.0, or the equivalent TOEFL scores as posted on the ETS website.
- Applicants to the Program, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
- One of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction, and daily life.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree was earned in a program that was officially taught in English.
- The applicant is a graduate of Nazarbayev University.
Work after graduation
The Sports and Rehabilitation program graduates will be eligible to enroll for a Ph.D. in Kazakhstan or abroad. Others will be able to work as:
- Rehabilitation specialists
- Sports team physicians
- Fitness and strength coaches for professional sports
- Physical Education teachers at high school and university levels
- Army and military training and rehabilitation specialists
- Private sports and gymnastics companies
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, USA
Other strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
About the School
Located in Nur-Sultan City, Kazakhstan, in Central Asia, Nazarbayev University is a research university with growing international renown combining education and innovation on a state of the art 21st- ... Read More